Monday, November 15, 2010

David Berger Monument

This memorial commenmorates the death of David Berger, a native of Shaker Heights, Ohio, during the hostage crisis of the 1972 Olympics. The memorial is located on the grounds of the Jewish Community Center in Beachwood, Ohio, a lovely suburb on the east side of Cleveland.  To get the NPS Stamp for the memorial, you have to go inside the JCC.  The JCC is undergoing some construction now, so I had to go in a side entrance. A helpful man behind the desk at the entrance directed me to another table, which looked like the membership desk. There, a young man in his 20's became quite excited when I showed him my NPS Passport and asked for the stamp. He had to go into a closet area to find the stamp, but he then carefully set the date and made a practice impression on a blank sheet of paper for me.  He then allowed me to make a practice impression before stamping my Passport (see below).  He then gave me the brochure (see images below) and directed me to the sculpture.

The memorial itself is the sculpture and a simple marker with a brief description of the events surrounding David Berger's death.

No comments:

Post a Comment